Lean Six Sigma is a globally recognised methodology that combines the efficiency-focused approach of Lean with the defect-reducing techniques of Six Sigma. With increasing demands for improved productivity and quality, many professionals wonder How to Get Certified in Lean Six Sigma. Various Lean Six Sigma Courses offer comprehensive training and certification pathways, equipping individuals with the necessary skills to lead and manage projects effectively, optimising business processes and delivering superior results. This blog discusses what Lean Six Sigma is, its phases, and how it empowers professionals.
Table of Contents
- What is Lean Six Sigma?
- DMAIC: Phases that define Lean Six Sigma
- How does Lean Six Sigma empower professionals?
What is Lean Six Sigma?
Lean Six Sigma is the culmination of Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. It is a team-focused managerial approach that considers resource wastage, time, and talent deployment. Over the years, Lean Six Sigma has spread its zone of influence in domains such as sustainable development, healthcare, supply chain, etc. The Fourth Industrial Revolution, or Industry 4.0, has been closely associated with Lean Six Sigma.
DMAIC: Phases that define Lean Six Sigma
Understanding the intricacies of Lean Six Sigma is just as essential as understanding its basics. It comprises six phases that help eliminate process-based anomalies and boost project efficiency. DMAIC, the abbreviation, stands for:
- Define: As the name suggests, this phase defines the problem set from multiple perspectives. While the primary perspective for consideration is the customer’s, stakeholder’s and company’s perspectives are also considered. This phase also gauges the extent of the problem set and maps the customer’s expectations accordingly.
- Measure: This phase caters to quantifying problem statements through metrics for a better understanding. Note that the goals defined in the ‘Define’ stage are benchmarked, and their optimisation is proposed.
- Analyse: Analysing the potency of a process is what constitutes this phase. Goals are quantified and measured with the help of historical data here.
- Improve: Once the processes are defined and analysed, new processes are created and tested for conditions that might dictate the future. Samples of improved processes are created and tested in different environments.
- Control: If the newly created processes perform well for the conditions set by the organisation, they are then put under control. Thorough implementation is achieved in this phase as well.
How does Lean Six Sigma empower professionals?
Working professionals can gain an edge over their competition through Lean Six Sigma in the following ways:
- Job pool widening: One of the key benefits of being a Lean Six Sigma expert is a widened job pool. With this expertise, you can appear in more job searches than those who do not possess the same.
- Generate value: Adhering to the objectives and phases defined in Lean Six Sigma, your skills will help boost company profit margins. Furthermore, you can optimise their processes and the overall system for enhanced efficiency.
- Decrease unnecessary expenses: Companies do not like spending money on processes and resources that do not fetch them the right profit margins. As a Lean Six Sigma expert, your objective shall allow you to help organisations decrease such expenses. Not only will this boost your reputation in the organisation but the general market.
- Enhanced leadership opportunities: Leadership opportunities can be availed through this expertise. Not only will you be able to build teams but lead them with efficiency as well. Project management is lucrative if you’re a Lean Six Sigma expert.
- Salary packages that will make you happy: With expertise in Lean Six Sigma, you’ll be among the few who can manage processes and handle teams. This boosts the chances of getting an enhanced salary package. Organisations now look for probable candidates who can lead teams and simultaneously boost organisational efficiency.
- Recognition from prominent industry bodies: Every industry recognises an efficient resource. Your expertise in team building, project management, and system optimisation can garner you acclaim from prominent industry bodies.
Lean Six Sigma has changed the way businesses work over the years. With a customer-centric approach, its potential to enhance processes has been adopted worldwide. Organisations have realised its efficiency; despite being decades old, it still works. Its potency can help you gain opportunities at the right time and place. All you have to do is learn the intricacies and develop an understanding of the way different tools work. Once done, you will have a bright career path ahead of you with lucrative offers from companies you like.